The logistics industry is evolving every day and has a huge impact on global trade, consumer demand and consumer behavior, manufacturing productivity, and even climate change. To stay ahead of the curve in this fast-paced environment you need to keep tabs on what’s happening in logistics—specifically some of the most innovative technologies on the horizon.
With 2023 right around the corner, there’s no better time than now to figure out how to ship smarter in the new year. Here are four ways you can level up your organization’s logistics strategy in 2023 and beyond.
1. Utilize Automation
Automation is the use of machines to perform tasks that would normally be done by humans. It’s a key component of supply chain management, reducing costs and improving efficiency by removing human error from the equation.
Automation can help you gain an edge over your competition in two ways:
- Minimizing costs—Many manual processes are labor-intensive, which means they’ll cost more than automated ones. Investing in automation may be a great way to cut down on operational expenses and improve your bottom line.
- Improving service levels—With faster processing speeds, increased accuracy, less downtime, and fewer errors overall, automation offers a streamlined approach to logistics that could make supply chains significantly more reliable for businesses both large and small alike.
2. Be Sustainable
Sustainability is a buzzword that has gained traction over the past few years, and for good reason. It’s not just a fad; it’s an industry imperative.
For your logistics strategy, sustainability means building in mechanisms that will help you achieve your business goals while respecting those of other stakeholders—like employees, customers, local communities, and the environment. This means ensuring sustainable transportation methods are used throughout supply chains, guaranteeing that goods are transported safely, keeping information transparent, eliminating waste like food spoilage or unnecessary packaging materials, and reducing energy consumption through green initiatives.
3. Keep Track of the Emerging Technologies in Logistics
Logistics companies and supply chain managers should be aware of the emerging technologies that are shaping the industry.
These technologies include:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) – AI uses software to make decisions, not just perform specific tasks. For example, if you ask Alexa to order you a pizza, she doesn’t just know how to place an order on your behalf; she also knows how much money is in your bank account so she can confirm payment for it before sending it out for delivery.
- Blockchain – A blockchain is a public ledger where every transaction is stored securely and cannot be changed once recorded on it. The logistics industry could use blockchains to store information about shipments such as their origin point or destination point without worrying about data security because blockchains are encrypted using cryptography algorithms which makes them virtually unhackable due to their decentralized nature where no single person owns all of them unlike traditional databases which have central points of failure (i.e., servers).
4. Ship Smarter in 2023 With Ground Force Logistics
As you can see, there are a lot of changes happening in logistics. There is no doubt that these five trends will have an impact on your business and how you operate it. If you’re looking for a new logistics company to partner with in 2023 and beyond, look no further—Ground Force Logistics combines the best people, carriers, and technology to achieve your business goals year-round.
To speak with an expert about your logistics goals, click here.